Monday, March 14, 2011

Social Psychology

Tuesday, March 15th-AP Psychology

Click on the title above to go to a website devoted entirely to issues related to social psychology. Please explore the website until you find information/articles/activities, etc. of interest to you.

If you find something particularly interesting be sure to write a quick comment sharing what you found with your classmates.

BY THE END OF THE PERIOD YOU SHOULD:
1) Have completed an article or activity. (I find the articles in the box on the left are especially interesting.)
2) Written a post describing the resource you explored and either what you learned from it or how it relates to what we learned in class.
3) Tell us if you recommend it and why or why not.

AS ALWAYS:
Your first post should use academic language with correct spelling and grammar.
Use just your first name when posting.

6 comments:

Josh Ferge said...

I read about the jigsaw experiment in classrooms. One school was having troubles with discrimination and students getting along. All of the students had been working individually and the competition was causing the classroom to disrupt. A group of graduate students came in and indtroduced what is called the jigsaw classroom. This is where students sat together and worked together. At first the students were uncooperative and were mean to one another. But after a while they realized order to do well in the class they needed to work together. Drastic improvement in the behavior of students was noticed in classrooms that had adopted the jigsaw, while ones that didn't were still chaotic.

Tayler said...

I read an article about the repeal of "don't ask don't tell" and being openly gay in the military and what effects that may have. It relates to class with how we learned about prejudice and why it occurs. I learned that if the majority of people really stand up against prejudice, that certain acts can be changed or looked down upon, like anti-gay hazing among troops. I would recommend this article because gay rights are a very current issue in our society right now and how we act upon it can determine a lot for this group of people in the future.
-Tayler :)

Garrett said...

I found a slide show on the Stanford Prison Experiment. It was really interesting. It had video footage, but sadly I couldn't view it because Youtube.com is blocked. But the little blurbs it had on each slide was pretty interesting. It talked about how the ordinary people turned into monstrous prison guards. They treated their fellow students as trash just because they had a uniform on. Also, the students playing the role of the inmate lost their sense of identity. They said they felt like their number, not their name. Some of the prisoners that were social college students became shy and withdrawn. Overall, this was a really neat article/slide show. I would recommend this article because it is very interesting and shows how everyday people, if put into the right situation, can do mean things.

Krystal said...

Today I chose to read an article about sexual orientation. My article was written by the American Psychological Association (APA). This article address all major issues surround homosexuality. I knew all of what I read but it was nice to see an article that explained homosexuality to people who still have not made an opinion about homosexuality or to people who have a more negative view on the topic.
I believe that the article relates to the class because it deals directly with a social issue that is affecting peoples life's today. In psych, during multiple chapters we have discussed homosexuality and much of what was said is written in this article.
I would recommend this article to a number of people. Any strong religious person who thinks that homosexuality is a choice should read this article and find out the truth. If a person is having issues defining their own sexuality or excepting it, this is a great article to read. It explains how there are many factors that play into any persons sexuality, whether straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual or any other sexual orientation. This can help someone to understand that their sexuality is not a bad thing, an illness or something that needs to be fixed. That in fact there is nothing wrong with any type of sexuality.

Amber said...

I found the article "Gender Stereotypes About Math Developed as Early as Second Grade" quite interesting.I feel this article may have some truth to it because when someone thinks about a scientist they usually think of a male.I feel that people don't really abide by that stereotype because there are quite a few girls in higher level math and science classes here at EHS, and most of the science teachers here are female. I would recommend this article because it really makes you think about how much things have changed.

Mason Montano said...

I read an article about how the New hampshire House Health placed an anti-abortion bill on hold to be voted on in the next voting session. This was a plus for the feminists and was national news for all of them. Other national news for feminists have arisen. Most of the news deal with abortion and same sex marriage.
I would recommend this article to feminists and to people who feel strongly towards abortion and same sex marriage. This is because the site has articles and news postings from the united states.t. It was a good article that had a lot of information from the news.